IBM i 7.4 - TR6 Enhancements
|IBM i 7.4 -
Enhancements timed with
Technology Refresh 6 (TR6)
Note: The announcement materials for IBM i 7.4 TR6 can be found here.
The remainder of this landing page intends to make it easy to see the supporting detail for these enhancements.
Db2 for i Enhancements
Note: The following Db2 for i enhancements are delivered by Db2 for i PTF Group SF99704 Level 20.
IBM i Services (new)
- QSYS2.ADD_USER_INDEX_ENTRY() and QSYS2.ADD_USER_INDEX_ENTRY_BINARY()
IBM i Services (enhanced)
Db2 for i - Services (new)
Db2 for i - Services (enhanced)
- IBM Power S1014 (9105-41B)
- IBM Power S1022 (9105-22A)
- IBM Power S1022s (9105-22B)
- IBM Power S1024 (9105-42A)
- IBM Power L1022 (9786-22H)
- IBM Power L1024 (9786-42H)
- IBM i exploits VIOS NPIV multiple queues
- New Enterprise NVMe U.2 Devices
- #EJ2A -- PCIe4 x16 to CXP Converter adapter
- #EJ1X -- Storage Backplane with four NVMe U.2 drive slots
- #EJ1Y -- Storage Backplane with eight NVMe U.2 drive slots
IBM PowerHA SystemMirror for IBM i 7.4 with HA version 4.7.2 brings several enhancements to the PowerHA portfolio, including:
- Reduced data transfer during resynchronization with Geographic Mirroring Compression (This enhancement will be available June 24, 2022).
- Ability to configure PowerHA to switch many IP addresses in a single device CRG without custom exit programs with a new configuration object type, *IPA.
- Integrated switchover progress monitoring with enhanced notifications when action is required.
Numerous performance improvements
For more information on these enhancements and to get started, see the IBM PowerHA SystemMirror for i wiki page.
Backup, Recovery and Media Services for i (BRMS) continues to be enhanced and improved.
- BRMS SQL Services now give users the option to view, order, and subset the BRMS information. Recently added BRMS SQL services include:
- BRMS has been enhanced with a new append to media volume selection which uses the same media policy retention for backups. The purpose of this new volume selection algorithm is to provide a way to maintain the same retention period for a volume set when appending backups using the same media policy.
- BRMS using IBM Cloud Storage for i has been enhanced to improve BRMS network support. The purpose of this support is to ensure duplicate volume names are not generated when any system in the BRMS network is in restricted state or when the BRMS network synchronization job is not working.
- BRMS recovery report has been enhanced to provide improved reporting for H/A environments. This support will provide a way to generate a single BRMS recovery report using tapes from your backup and production systems in an H/A environment.
The BRMS PTFs that deliver these enhancements are as follows. The PTFs will be released the end of May, 2022.
IBM i 7.3 - SI78289
IBM i 7.4 - SI78290
Internal Use Only
Was this topic helpful?
12 July 2022